Saturday, August 29, 2009

Watercooling Case Mod

It's that time again.
The time when I get sufficently bored, and happends to lay my eyes on something moddable.

This time I was thinking about how to make the watercooling case mod, a bit moddier.
And I just happend to have a digital photoframe.
So I removed the front of the Watercooling case, (hereby known as Heart case.)

The white front on the photoframe might reflect light, So I decided to mask it with tape, and paint it dark.
The tape was used just in case it didnt turn out as good as expected, I could always just remove the paint and be back with a nice white frame again.

Here we can see the painted frame displaying a random picture.

Originaly i was going to dismantle the photoframe and just use the LCD screen, but it fit so good with the frame, that I decided to use the whole frame.
The USB connector didnt quite fit though, so I had to butcher the cable a bit to make it fit.
And then I glued it in place.

Testrun of the front.

The USB cable I had was very short, and I didnt have an extension cable around, so the thing ended up on the floor next to the PC until I go buy a longer cable.
I added some random art which is displayed on it.
The screen is powered by the USB and since its plugged in, It's quite easy to just upload new pictures to it without having to dismantle it again.
The software to update the pictures are located on the photoframe usb disk, so its just a matter of running it directly from the USB disk.

And here is the Finished results.


Not bad. =)

No comments: